Position: Day School Director
Classification: Full Time, Salaried Position
Location: St. Andrew’s Day School, 4816 Glen Street, La Mesa, California 91941
ST. ANDREW’S DAY SCHOOL JOB DESCRIPTION
St. Andrew’s Day School is a ministry of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in La Mesa, California. The Director oversees the day to day operations of the school and reports to the Headmaster (Rector of the Parish). The Day School respects each child’s religious and cultural background while operating in an inclusive Christian setting. Our mission is to teach all children that they are unique and loved by God. Through lessons, song and prayer, our children learn about Jesus and how he teaches us to care for each other with both love and respect. After laying a foundation of faith in Jesus Christ, our goal is to send each one of our children to kindergarten with the skills to confidently work with others and promote good citizenship. The Director creates the climate life of the Day School, leads by example and fosters the religious centeredness which is inherent in the Day School’s mission.
Basic Duties and Responsibilities
The Director is responsible for the daily operations of the Day School, including curriculum development and maintenance, staff hiring and management, marketing and communication, recruitment and enrollment, parent relations, regulatory oversight, policy creation and updating, budget development and oversight, purchasing of supplies and equipment, property maintenance and other duties which may be identified on an ongoing basis. Requires strong leadership skills, excellent communication skills and a warm, nurturing disposition.
- Responsible for preparing and monitoring Day School Board approved annual operating budgets, including annual tuition plans and staff compensation plans. Prepares business plans for capital needs and presents to Day School Board for prioritization and approval.
- Identifies, plans and schedules annual fundraisers.
- Acts as a professional role model while leading and supervising a team of teachers and support staff. Responsible for interviewing, hiring, developing job roles and staff development.
- Observes teachers, advises on classroom leadership, team collaboration, curriculum implementation, parent relationships and adherence to the mission of the Day School. Works with staff to set individual goals and education plans.
- Conducts formal written performance evaluations for new employees during probationary periods and annually for all staff.
- Promotes staff engagement and a culture of fairness. Conducts regular staff meetings, recognizes staff and implements retention strategies.
- Identifies personnel problems and take appropriate action as deemed necessary. Provides disciplinary action when necessary according to policy and procedures.
Communication and Parent Relations
- Responsible for building positive relationships with parents.
- Prioritizes listening to gratitude or concerns expressed by parents.
- Checks email, phone messages and other communication tools daily.
- Immediately acts if an issue arises and reports to Headmaster.
- Provides service recovery as needed.
- Mentors, trains and guides staff to aide in promoting positive relationships with parents.
- Responsible for frequent communications to parents using a variety of communication methods (e.g. website, email blast, social media).
- Drafts and disseminates Parent Surveys (mid-year and year-end) and solicit feedback to continually improve the program.
- Stays informed about new and innovative communication tools and implements as needed.
- Develops marketing, advertising and recruitment plans as needed to maintain optimal school enrollment. Provides and updates website recruitment content. Conducts tours for prospective families.
- Develops, maintains and modifies curriculum. Seeks the expertise of other professionals and experts as needed to enhance the quality of the Day School.
- Substitutes for teachers in the classroom as needed.
- Plans and monitors food service.
- Oversees the annual Day School Calendar, schedules and attends school fundraisers, community-building/social events, Parish events and local town events.
- Advocates on behalf of the Day School, ensuring that it is a visible and vital ministry of the Parish.
- Serves as an organizational leader, maintaining open communication and professional relationships with the Headmaster, Day School Board, Church Leadership and Staff.
- Attends monthly Day School Board meetings and provides a monthly report to the day school board. Presents at evening Vestry meetings quarterly and attends the church Annual Meeting as directed by the Headmaster.
Regulatory and Compliance
- Responsible for all regulatory oversite. Ensures that all other regulatory standards set by the state of California and any other governing bodies are followed, including but not limited to the following:
- Conducts monthly fire drills, ensures staff compliance with the Diocese of San Diego’s requirement for Safeguarding God’s People and other training that the Diocese requires.
- Maintains required staffing levels, including substitutes teachers and assigning a qualified teacher to act as a substitute for the director when absent and maintains current membership in NAES or pending application with acceptance.
- Responsible for ensuring that child and teacher health documents are in order and maintained per state requirements and regulations.
- Keeps the school environment healthy and safe in accordance with licensing state requirements and regulations.
- Sets and oversee emergency plans, diapering plans and schedules training required by state licensing agencies including but not limited to First Aid, CPR, Medication and Epi-pen.
- Notifies parents and Headmaster of any signs of illness, outbreaks of communicable diseases or serious injuries.
Three to five years of classroom teaching experience with at least one year of supervisory or program administration experience. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Early Childhood Education (ECE), Child Development or a related field (Master’s Degree is preferred) with at least three (3) credits in ECE administration. Meets the Child Care Center Director Qualifications as specified in the California Code of Regulations; Title 22, Section 101215.1. Knowledge of state licensing procedures, recruitment of new families, fiscal, managerial and organizational skills required. Demonstrated ability to relate sensitively to children, parents and staff. Interest in the spiritual formation of children. Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter and professional references to:
The Reverend Harold V Reed
Headmaster and Rector, St. Andrews Episcopal Church
The Day School is looking to fill this position in early 2020. The Director of St. Andrew’s Day School is an at-will position. Principals only; no recruiters.